[asterisk-biz] DIDX Query

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Sun Nov 7 22:57:56 CST 2010

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010, Chris Bagnall wrote:

>> I would stay away from DIDWW. We have had lots of times where DID's
>> just went dead and the answer was that the carrier stopped providing
>> them with service.
>
> Wondering if you'd mind elaborating a little on that? We've just started
> using DIDWW for a few international destinations, and I certainly wouldn't
> want a scenario where they can be pulled offline for no reason and without
> warning - that would certainly be rather embarrassing to have to explain
> to a client.
>
> Perhaps someone from DIDWW could reassure the list?

  I'm not from DIDWW, but here's what they might be talking about.

  In the 4 years I've been a customer, there was one situation where numbers
  they leased/rented to me went offline, and there was a lack of
  communication between the end provider and DIDWW.  In the end it was
  either Hong Kong or Japan or China numbers that were affected.  And yes,
  they went away.  DIDWW kept me aware of what was going on well enough, and
  though annoying and problematic, it only affected numbers in a certain
  region, and I was able to get numbers elsewhere through DIDWW.

  In the 4 years, this happened once to 5 or fewer of my numbers in that one
  location.  Once.  My DNS provider, who had 8 years of 100% uptime, was hit
  by a massive DDOS and was down for maybe 8 hours.  Operational issues
  happen, and I am still with my DNS provider, and I'm still with DIDWW.

  My business is not perfect, and neither is yours, dear reader.  We work
  hard to make everything work all the time, but our job is complex and has
  lots of moving parts, including the complexities and moving parts of our
  vendors who are also trying to do the same.

  Our business, the VoIP business, the business of communication, is
  international.  And there are rules, regulations, wars, governments and
  other powers that be that negatively impact how we are able to business
  and at what price.  If the person who claimed "lots of times where DIDs
  just went dead" would care to elaborate, such as locations, business
  response to the issue and other pertinent information as I have done, I
  think that would be more fair to both the company and the dear reader or
  lurker or searcher than a negative statement without real explanation.