[asterisk-biz] Foip solution

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Mon Mar 29 12:16:00 CDT 2010

Rob Rothberg wrote:
> Hylafax is reliable, but faxing over IP is not particularly reliable.  I
> used hylafax + asterisk + TDMoE (RedFone FoneBridge 2 which I have for
> sale) to bulk fax thousands of payment due notices every day without a
> glitch, but I was using voice channels on a T-1 to handle the faxing.
> T.38 really wasn't a practical option when I implemented this several
> years ago.  Not sure if that has changed at all.  BTW, if you need
> someone that really knows his Hylafax, I have an awesome reference for
> someone I found on the Hylafax group who was one of the individuals
> doing maintenance on the Hylafax sources.  Used him for 3 years and he
> was always there when I needed him.  He's pretty well versed in Asterisk
> as well.

If your end points can do T.38 properly, it works great.  I used to do
tons of T.38 faxing over the public internet as well as across 500+ms
VSAT links to customers.  The only problems I ever ran into were fax
machines that didn't quite adhere to standards.

The customer endpoints were Quintum A200 or A400 boxes and the
termination equipment was a Quintum CMS-960.