[asterisk-biz] Google's voice product [OT]

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Tue Mar 17 14:33:52 CDT 2009

Nitzan Kon wrote:
> --- On Tue, 3/17/09, SIP <sip at arcdiv.com> wrote:
>

>> See... I'm picturing Google meshing this with Google
>> Talk, which DOES do VoIP. It would be silly for them NOT to
>> mesh the two products together, and likely trivial to do.
>> I'm guessing we just haven't seen that bit yet.
>>

> So.... who's going to pay the bill? a neat calling card system
> is one thing (read: pennies on the dollar) - but a full on
> phone service for free is something even Google can't finance
> for long. They'd need to charge to make any sort of profit
> out of this. It'll just turn into a Skype Call-Out copycat.
> Working? sure. But it's still not a niche.
>
> IMHO there is absolutely no way advertisements will pay the
> bill. This isn't email where it costs a whopping dollar to
> service a customer for a year - PSTN calls have a very real
> price, and it's not nearly low enough for a non-paid model
> to work... yet.

That's what I want to know. I don't see it possible to sustain the
current business model, which leads me to believe this is simply the
start of things, and it will change as time progresses. What they say is
the business model NOW is not what it will look like a year down the road.

We'll see. Should be interesting to watch.

N.