[asterisk-biz] iPhone 3.0 app for asterisk?

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Jun 27 11:39:53 CDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-06-27 at 12:28 -0400, Stephane Bakhos wrote:
> There are some limited, and official, ways to officially circumvent the
> app store. But it does limit distribution and marketing of the
> application.

I think it also requires a TOS violation, which means they can get a
cease and desist order, and if its not its a cat and mouse game, where
apple can alter the method used at any point making it so that you can
no longer do that, requiring you to find a new way to get the app
installed and all that.

Now if there is a config properties file that limits this functionality,
then you can change those settings via an email, you attach an xml file
which contains the changes which could potentially open this up a bit,
but its my guess that it wont be this trivial or people would be
discussing it quite a bit more.

> Don't forget that as far as Apple is concerned they only have a few dozen
> customers for the iPhone. They are the carriers who sell them.

I did not forget, in fact I mentioned something to the effect of it goes
against their business model since they are partnered with the carriers
who do not want you to utilize voip to be able to avoid charges from
them.

This was also a point of contention at one point, I believe that they
pushed hard to get apple to remove voip clients all together.

pgp key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8AE5C721