[asterisk-biz] Experimental/new VoIP rate search engine.

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Jan 5 02:50:40 CST 2009

Nitzan Kon wrote:
> --- On Mon, 1/5/09, Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com> wrote:
>
>> Of course, this will break for a certain percentage of
>> users who have NAT gateways or UACs that just don't get it.
>
> YMMV, but I'd rather deal with proxying all media than trying
> to handle/support all the users who do break because of NAT
> issues. Overall IMHO proxying media will give *residential*
> users the best possible/reliable experience. It might not be
> the "best" way to do it - but I don't care about best. I care
> about the end result - happy customer. :)

Yeah, I can't argue with that.  If it has no appreciable QoS impact and
you don't see it as a cost barrier at your level and size, then, just do
whatever works.

In discussions where it's more relevant, it's always about cost and QoS,
generally in that order.  I cannot and will not pay for 10x more
bandwidth just 'cause it makes me feel good about how 100% well-served
every one of my customers' CPE devices is and how harmonious it all
feels.  Money's on the table.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems