[asterisk-biz] Experimental/new VoIP rate search engine.

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Jan 4 23:28:51 CST 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 21:21 -0800, Nitzan Kon wrote:
> --- On Sun, 1/4/09, Trixter aka Bret McDanel <trixter at 0xdecafbad.com> wrote:
>
> > Ok then, lets look at this claim a bit.  I live in
> > Amsterdam right now.
> > Are your base metrics of any value to me if they are all
> > tested from the
> > US?
>
> Actually, I have servers in the east coast, Amsterdam, and
> soon the west coast - so if we were to use some sort of tool
> to measure stuff like this we could just combine all of the
> results to arrive at an average or something. (oversimplifying
> this, but you get my drift)

yes I get your drift, however I do not think that what I was saying is
understood.  It was in relation to the testing of quality with that
software, and nothing else.  The claim that 1 origination test point
could provide quality metrics valid for the entire globe seems
questionable to me.  It has nothing to do with the service that you were
offering (or really anyone for that matter) but more specifically the
claim that 1 origination point can determine the quality baselines for
everyone and I do not believe that those numbers would have any bearing
on people who at the very least are elsewhere in the world.

Connectivity, network quality, etc is not uniform, this fact cannot be
ignored.  Why I believe firmly that unless the tests are quantified that
they are valid under a strong set of circumstances, they will be
misleading to many, and as a result will be deemed worthless in a global
distribution of "who has better quality".

pgp key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8AE5C721