[asterisk-biz] Experimental/new VoIP rate search engine.

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sun Jan 4 18:55:17 CST 2009

Kristian Kielhofner wrote:

> On 1/4/09, Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com> wrote:
>> I think if this gets traction you will see a lot of providers doing
>>  ultra-low bait-and-switch rates. Most cannot afford to be in a price
>>  race to the bottom.
>>

>   Agreed.
>
>   This current race to the bottom, while somewhat inevitable, is not
> necessarily a good thing for customers.

There are presently very substantial differences between wholesale
trunking providers based on who they buy from, what type of Internet
connectivity they have / how they are peered relative to Tier 1 Internet
backbones, what equipment they use, and the jurisdiction in which they
operate and associated regulations.

But, in the end, I think as some of this stuff gets to be normalised and
evens out as the industry matures and networking adapts around it, VoIP
termination and origination *will* become a commodity and the market
will resemble perfect competition much more than it does today.  That
doesn't mean that small differences won't remain, that value-added
features or platforms won't have an impact, or that fly-by-night
operations will be tolerated, but in the grand scheme of things, the
substantive business-level differentiators will be on the carrier side,
where the cost basis can differ depending on how much network the
competitive carrier actually has versus pure interconnection with an
incumbent + wholesale long-distance via an IXC, or the equivalent
concept in non-US markets where some degree of local loop deregulation
also exists.

In other words, wholesale termination and origination *will* start to
look more like the market for agricultural products (wheat, grain, corn,
fruit, rice), basic industrial inputs (steel, screws, bolts, molds),
energy (oil, electricity, natural gas), precious metals (gold, silver,
etc.), etc.  This is one in which price and its relevance to logistics
is the only pervasive and ubiquitous value differentiator.

That's not necessarily a bad thing if the stuff that differentiates the
offering really can be factored out.  Increasingly, with time, I think
it will be.

The bad news for pure VoIP ITSPs anyone doing PSTN connectivity
arbitrage or engaging in a variety of other resale models is that the
ones with anything less than the most viciously competitive pricing will
be forced out of the market--that's assuming that selling "minutes" will
remain the network and/or facility monetisation model once the industry
finds a solid private VoIP peering and settlement model and stands
anything to gain from seriously beginning the process of deprecating the
PSTN.  We can agree that's not exactly around the corner right now,
except perhaps in places that never had much fixed-line infrastructure
to begin with.

The good news is that substance (aka actual network build-out) will be
rewarded over resale and arbitrage.  Network build-out is capital
intensive but adds actual value in the long run.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems