[asterisk-biz] Experimental/new VoIP rate search engine.

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Jan 4 20:54:45 CST 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 21:36 -0500, Alex Balashov wrote:
> Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
>
> >   I know you (Alex) are a proponent of direct media handoff (as am I).
>
> Are you suggesting I should not be?
>
> Personally, I can't understand why anyone would ever shunt customer
> media into their network except to work out intractable NAT issues.

in the US CALEA may make you do that, other places may have similar
legislation.  Because of the LCR issues and other things the central
contact would be the ITSP that the calls are routed through.  Now if you
are an interconnected VoIP provider in the US you have to be CALEA ready
if I recall correctly.  As a result, you are not supposed to tip your
hand that you are monitoring media, and if someone notices that the IPs
changed to goto you where before it was all direct to the upstream you
are alerting them that something funky is going on, which is illegal.

This may be something some have considered when they opt to handle the
media themselves, although my guess is that most do it because that is
the default way of handling it and others do it to hide who they are
sending the calls to.
pgp key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8AE5C721