[asterisk-biz] Plonking Tier 1 SIP Providers?

Bill Michaelson astbiz at bill.from.net
Thu Feb 19 10:25:50 CST 2009

Your application of the definition of legitimate is ill-considered.

Businesses sometimes heavily advertise their 800 #'s and the numbers
become like trademarks. In such cases, using any other number would be
like obscuring their identity.

Thus, in the case of your telemarketing callers, the use of 800 #'s is
probably more "legitimate" than using the DID of some obscure line in a
call center. It more openly identifies the entity on whose behalf the
call is being placed. Indeed, it enables you to do screening.

I receive calls from USAA, an insurance and investment service provider
that are legitimate and not telemarketing calls. I appreciate that they
bear the correct 800- caller ID so that I can readily identify them.

I set my caller ID to properly identify my role when I place a call:
personal or business, based on the business entity I am representing. It
is not fraudulent. It is a courtesy extended to the called party, and
might or might not be a toll-free number.