[asterisk-biz] Billing?

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Aug 19 12:05:54 CDT 2009

Alistair Cunningham wrote:

> There are SS7 solutions for Asterisk but we would not recommend
> them as 3rd party gateways are more mature.

Not just that, but as there is no MGCP or H.248/MEGACO support, it is
impossible to control intermachine trunks (bearers) over a separate ISUP
link that is not connected to the physical host into which the bearer
channels go.  Thus, the limit of how many IMTs can be taken is the limit
of how many T1s can physically be plugged into a single Asterisk host.

Because Asterisk does not separate the signaling and bearer plane in
this manner, this makes Asterisk SS7 support relatively useless in the
contexts in which it is most often asked about.  It is only good for
low-density private SS7 access, and I can't see a compelling reason to
use it over PRI.

Also, Asterisk SS7 only supports ISUP - no TCAP, so no LNP, CNAM dips,
etc.  In the US, that's going to make it completely useless for telco
interconnection.  How useless?  About 95% useless, as >= 95% of the rate
centers in the country are now under number pooling, not just
10,000-block NANPA assignments.  The LRN is virtually required to route
in this situation.  Plus any direct end-office trunks or sector tandem
connections and, well, yeah.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov - Principal