[asterisk-biz] Free DIDs

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sun Aug 16 12:30:32 CDT 2009

Trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:

> I am all for people advertising unlimited  if it really is unlimited.  I
> just dont think they should say that if its not.  Nor do I think people
> should say "sign up today and get a $1,000,00 check"  and then in the
> TOS say that the check will be voided before being mailed.

The problem is that what you're really challenging is a much larger
nexus of narratives ingrained in the discourse - the observational
language of marketing, and, dare I say, the metaphysics of consumerism.

Just about every aspect of advertising and product literature pertaining
to anything has claims that are indefensible on some grounds, be they
scientific, economic, logistical, or just as a matter of policy.

It's like demanding that press releases say something concrete.  It's a
morally agreeable crusade, but there's a reason why press releases are
meaningless crapola devoid of any sentences that commit to any positive
assertion or proposition whatsoever, as a matter apart from the
characteristically assailable language they use, which is a more common
critical theme.  The reasons mostly have to do with legal liability and
competitive advantage.  It's simply too much exposure - real or imagined
- to say anything at all that commits the subject company to any
concrete obligations per se, as such.

> you do realize that the bars metric is rigged right?  It is not a true
> signal strength measure like an S-meter would be.  And the firmware on
> some model phones has been shown to be intentionally high when it should
> not be specifically so they can claim that :)  So that one at least they
> do have, or probably do have, since its a rigged scale.

I did not realise that, but I have no trouble believing it whatsoever.
:)  I don't think many engineers pay attention to such vapid drivel.

It's all well and good to criticise it, but above all, one has to
realise that its purpose isn't to serve the sensibilities of people like
us, and that has never been the purpose nor will it be the purpose.

> Unless you were referring to bop.gov, they have more bars in more places
> too :)

Isn't that the truth ...[1]

-- Alex

[1]   http://www.pewcenteronthestates.org/uploadedFiles/One%20in%20100.pdf