[asterisk-biz] Free DIDs

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Aug 16 12:12:50 CDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-16 at 13:06 -0400, Alex Balashov wrote:
> But it is a requirement of marketing to do so, as long as your
> competitors are doing it--or, at least, claiming to do it, it doesn't
> really matter which.  So, maybe Bret is right;  if there were a strict
> and comprehensive regulatory ban on claiming anything is "unlimited,"
> ever, that might go some way toward solving that problem.

I am all for people advertising unlimited  if it really is unlimited.  I
just dont think they should say that if its not.  Nor do I think people
should say "sign up today and get a $1,000,00 check"  and then in the
TOS say that the check will be voided before being mailed.

> Nobody is five-9s[2], nobody's SLA is worth a crap, and nobody's "more
> bars in more places" or "always on" has any empirical validity from an
> engineering perspective.

you do realize that the bars metric is rigged right?  It is not a true
signal strength measure like an S-meter would be.  And the firmware on
some model phones has been shown to be intentionally high when it should
not be specifically so they can claim that :)  So that one at least they
do have, or probably do have, since its a rigged scale.

There were some articles about this specifically relating to AT&T phones
and their more bars claim.

Unless you were referring to bop.gov, they have more bars in more places
too :)
pgp key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8AE5C721