[asterisk-biz] General development funding: discussion and survey

Bill Michaelson bill at cosi.com
Fri Oct 31 12:45:21 CDT 2008

Vlasis Hatzistavrou (KTI) wrote:
> John Todd wrote:
>
>> Any mechanism that could improve the
>> Asterisk Open Source project is interesting to me, regardless of how
>> well we believe the current model works.   If there's interest -
>> great!  Let's see if it's serious.  If not, OK, then things seem to be
>> working as they are now.
>>

> It's great that there are people who are looking for additional ways to
> improve Asterisk. However, I second the opinion that too many patches
> and additions are/were sitting idle without being added in the project.
> Some of them were important and/or useful IMHO.
>
> Even though personally I only made a few additions and patches here and
> there for the chan_h323 and chan_ooh323 as well as testing and bug
> submissions, personally I felt discouraged to continue sending
> improvements, after the first initial ones. Some of the later ones that
> I didn't send just sit idle on my hard drive and now that Asterisk has
> moved to version 1.6 they are just out of date.
>
> I believe that mine is only an example of a small (perhaps negligible)
> amount of contribution that was lost. I am pretty sure that many other
> developers with more serious contribution than mine feel the same.
>
> Perhaps I am missing the whole picture here, but IMHO, unless there is a
> way to integrate into the project the current, free of charge
> contribution that already exists, I don't know what good development
> funding would do.

And when I recently tried to use a redfone foneBRIDGE, a product that
can be regarded as competitive to Digium HW offerings, I discovered that
the process of building the driver was very cumbersome because the
required module was removed from the zaptel code repository by the
maintainers of the repository. I traced this back to some kind of an
apparent spat between the developer and the maintainers, nominally about
coding standards. I viewed it through another lens, as do others
undoubtedly view suggestions by Digium that people should contribute to
a SW development fund.

No conclusions. Just suspicions.