[asterisk-biz] General development funding: discussion and survey

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Oct 31 12:58:25 CDT 2008

Bill Michaelson wrote:

> And when I recently tried to use a redfone foneBRIDGE, a product that
> can be regarded as competitive to Digium HW offerings, I discovered that
> the process of building the driver was very cumbersome because the
> required module was removed from the zaptel code repository by  the
> maintainers of the repository.  I traced this back to some kind of an
> apparent spat between the developer and the maintainers, nominally about
> coding standards.  I viewed it through another lens, as do others
> undoubtedly view suggestions by Digium that people should contribute to
> a SW development fund.

That is incorrect. There was never any redfone driver in the Zaptel
repository, so there was nothing to remove. The driver that is it based
on is still there (even in DAHDI).

I believe that redfone did submit their driver for inclusion into
Zaptel, and that it was rejected for the reasons you mentioned (coding
guidelines and code quality). We do not accept code that does not
conform to at least reasonable standards of quality, because doing so
would allow the code base to deteriorate and increase everyone else's
support burden.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies