[asterisk-biz] General development funding: discussion and survey

Vlasis Hatzistavrou (KTI) vhatz at kinetix.gr
Fri Oct 31 12:31:48 CDT 2008

John Todd wrote:
> Any mechanism that could improve the
> Asterisk Open Source project is interesting to me, regardless of how
> well we believe the current model works.   If there's interest -
> great!  Let's see if it's serious.  If not, OK, then things seem to be
> working as they are now.

It's great that there are people who are looking for additional ways to
improve Asterisk. However, I second the opinion that too many patches
and additions are/were sitting idle without being added in the project.
Some of them were important and/or useful IMHO.

Even though personally I only made a few additions and patches here and
there for the chan_h323 and chan_ooh323 as well as testing and bug
submissions, personally I felt discouraged to continue sending
improvements, after the first initial ones. Some of the later ones that
I didn't send just sit idle on my hard drive and now that Asterisk has
moved to version 1.6 they are just out of date.

I believe that mine is only an example of a small (perhaps negligible)
amount of contribution that was lost. I am pretty sure that many other
developers with more serious contribution than mine feel the same.

Perhaps I am missing the whole picture here, but IMHO, unless there is a
way to integrate into the project the current, free of charge
contribution that already exists, I don't know what good development
funding would do.

Just my 2 Eurocents.

Regards,
Vlasis Hatzistavrou.