[asterisk-biz] Mobile calling in Europe

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Oct 17 04:48:52 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 19:17 +0200, randulo wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Trixter aka Bret McDanel
> <trixter at 0xdecafbad.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 18:39 +0200, randulo wrote:
> > When I was in Ireland I used meteor to call a US based system that used
> > early media to play an announcement and all that to the caller.  Meteor
>
> This is definitely going to date me, but in the old, old days, when a
> call between distant US States was really prohibitive, people used to
> invent simple codes for "I got back ok". They'd make a collect, person
> to person call to their family number for "Al okay" for example,
> meaning all is ok. You could often place a sentence or two while the
> operator asked whether the person would accept the charges, which of
> course they always refused :)

nah doesnt date you, MCI I think ran ads where a guy was calling collect
with the name "had-a-baby its-a-boy" and such.  And people used to do
that a LOT with the automated 800-collect and such where it would record
your name and play it back.  So even in the 90s that was quite common,
so much so that it made it into tv adverts by the very phone companies
that were having this traffic go through them to say in essence "our
prices are low enough you can stop now kthx".

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200