[asterisk-biz] Mobile calling in Europe

randulo spamsucks2005 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 08:49:14 CDT 2008

Somewhat related to this nostalgia, but specifically the difference
between the USA and EUrope, for as long as I can remember, local calls
were not metered in the US, at least not in most areas I lived. The
notion of local changed though and sometimes calling across the street
was expensive. But my main point is, that here in Europe until VoIP
came out of the closet and was offered by all the major players, ALL
calls were metered, period. Since the triple play operators have been
pushing everyone to "unlimited" dialing, that notion has all but
disappeared. In fact, now, many of thse are offering not only
unlimited national but also "unlimlited" international dialing for a
small fee.

All of this points once again to the fact that today, VoIP is NOT
really about cost, it's about flexibility and service.