[asterisk-biz] Colocated Asterisk Server

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Oct 3 19:21:31 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 22:53 +0100, Chris Bagnall wrote:
> > Well, that's not necessarily true.  Yes, of course you're going to add
> > some latency, but it doesn't have to be too much.  It all depends on how
> > the US data center is peered.  If it's peered with primarily Tier 1
> > backbones that privately haul trans-Atlantic traffic and go back to
> > LINX, Redbus, etc. in London, you're pretty well off.
>
> I was thinking specifically of the scenario where one might have PSTN termination in the UK, customers in the UK, but phone servers in the US. You'd have the latency of the customer's (usually *DSL) connection to the US, then the (hopefully much lower) latency back to the PSTN provider in the UK. I doubt you'd be able to do it under 100ms end-to-end.
>
> As you rightly point out, if you can sidestep handling media, the situation would be much improved.

100ms on a call wouldnt matter, have you ever called someone on a mobile
that was right next to you?  The delay is usually noticeable.  Its loss
and jitter that would be problems.  As long as those are under control,
then the call quality should be good.  I have regularly made calls from
Amsterdam to servers in the US and the audio was crystal clear and delay
was not observable in a normal conversation.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200