[asterisk-biz] virtualphoneline.com & DIDX.net

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Wed May 21 14:00:58 CDT 2008

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 01:02:27PM -0400, SIP wrote:
>
>>> This is a mailing list; the rules here are pretty much the same as
>>> Usenet: your reputation will really honest-to-$DEITY live and die on 72
>>> character hard wrapped lines, blank lines between paragraphs, no HTML,
>>> and a clean signature.
>>>
>>> I am not, as the saying goes, making this up.
>>>
>> So wait... by 'real' email client, you mean ELM?
>>

> Mutt, actually.
>

>> Seriously... what kind of standard is 72-character hard-wrapped lines?
>>

>> I haven't seen that since we all wrote on 80-character terminals. Which
>> are not what I'd call 'real' email clients.
>>

> Then you don't hang out on Usenet, or many technical mailing lists.
>
> The *vast* majority of messages I see on my 19 mailing lists (over 500
> messages a day) are hard wrapped, where they're not HTML -- and we
> strongly discourage HTML; many lists hard-bounce it.  And with good
> reason:
>
> 	http://expita.com/nomime.html
>
> Hell, even Outlook Web Access with Exchange 5.5 wraps replies to 78
> columns.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out.  Still cant mark
> quotes properly.
>
> You came up out of Fidonet, didn't you?  :-)
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

I actually came up out of Usenet, but gave up those archaic habits when
they... you know... became archaic. Some call it progress. I call it
evolution.

I use mutt still on occasion (and elm on old machines) when I'm forced
in through a term window. But for the most part, I, and a huge majority
of actual living, breathing humans, find such things tedious and
needlessly arcane. While there's something to be said for honouring
traditions, there's also something to be said for not adhering to
outmoded methods of communication for the sake of proving one's digital
upbringing.

I wear my evolution as a badge of honour. ;)

N.

:wq