[asterisk-biz] virtualphoneline.com & DIDX.net

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed May 21 13:46:37 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 01:02:27PM -0400, SIP wrote:
> > This is a mailing list; the rules here are pretty much the same as
> > Usenet: your reputation will really honest-to-$DEITY live and die on 72
> > character hard wrapped lines, blank lines between paragraphs, no HTML,
> > and a clean signature.
> >
> > I am not, as the saying goes, making this up.
>
> So wait... by 'real' email client, you mean ELM?

Mutt, actually.

> Seriously... what kind of standard is 72-character hard-wrapped lines?

> I haven't seen that since we all wrote on 80-character terminals. Which
> are not what I'd call 'real' email clients.

Then you don't hang out on Usenet, or many technical mailing lists.

The *vast* majority of messages I see on my 19 mailing lists (over 500
messages a day) are hard wrapped, where they're not HTML -- and we
strongly discourage HTML; many lists hard-bounce it.  And with good
reason:

	http://expita.com/nomime.html

Hell, even Outlook Web Access with Exchange 5.5 wraps replies to 78
columns.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out.  Still cant mark
quotes properly.

You came up out of Fidonet, didn't you?  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)