[asterisk-biz] MagicJack

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Mar 22 02:56:42 CDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 00:43 -0700, Nitzan Kon wrote:
> For those of you thinking about running it via Linux, Asterisk, etc.
> Even assuming you succeed in doing it, they are very likely to have a
> problem with that since you bring no ad revenue in. I don't know if
> they have the means to detect that now, but I'm sure they will
> eventually if many people try to work around having to use their ad
> platform.. I mean, software.

Rather than speculate about that, lets see what they have to say about
my proposal to be the one that writes and maintains linux support for
their device :)

They arent running ads now, and their price isnt that different from
Skype.  There are also things they can do to keep the price down which
can ultimately mean that they arent losing money at that price (at least
with sufficient volume).

I also havent looked yet at their TOS to see what they define unlimited
as, so far I have yet to find anyone that defines unlimited as "without
limits".  If they define it similarly to say betamax (voipbuster, sip
discount, voipcheap, etc) then they are charging the same price as
betamax.

There are more companies that are charging about that price.  There are
ways to make that price profitable as well (betamax actually gives you
more countries to call, magicjack I believe gives you only one).

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200