[asterisk-biz] Opinions requested: message blasting

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Jun 25 11:21:16 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 08:22 -0700, Al Lougher wrote:

> With the recent explosion in voice-to-text technology, we're also now
> able to broadcast messages out and capture the recipient's replies by
> transcribing them to text and delivering responses back to the sender.
> Something like this is proving to be an invaluable service for
> emergency response teams etc.

ASR currently works well with a small lexicon, however if you were to
try to use an unabridged dictionary as your source, its probably going
to fail miserably.  Al, if you have some product that works with a large
lexicon, can you share the name of that product?

A side note to this windows mobile 6.1 does its ASR via the net, in
essence it streams the audio to a system with more cpu power than the
mobile has.  This is aparently a standard feature of 6.1 so development
of such apps should increase in the coming years.

Windows mobile 5 was the first windows mobile to integrate a sip client
as part of the normal dialer, although MS left it to carriers to
provision, and information is slowly leaking out about the XML config
format, most carriers have disabled this (to the point of a lot of ROM
images not even having the DLLs required or registry settings to enable
the sip client).  This seems to be a progression along those lines, and
my guess will only continue.

Some vendors are also hiding functionality, where what you do online is
incorporated into other apps so you have less of a clear line to know
what is online and what is not, and more importantly, when you are going
to be charged and when you arent if you dont have an unlimited use plan.
Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200