[asterisk-biz] Open letter to digium, asterisk developers and consultants

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Wed Jun 11 12:13:49 CDT 2008

	There are two issues directly relevant to this thread. One is the
actual rights inherent in a trademark. The other is the constraints
Digium is claiming in its license. They are related. Since trademark
rights are the law, and this -biz community isn't going to change it,
but rather will accept it, those rights are merely background. But
getting them right is important to understanding how much of Digium's
policy could be changed, where it is only Digium requiring it, not the
law.

	I think this thread (especially your posts, Bret) has made distinct
those two issues. And in so doing, highlighted those Digium policies
that are not merely required by their trademark under law, but either
are Digium's privileges created in its license, or are non-obvious
constraints of using Asterisk (the SW) that are created by that license,
or both.

	So long as the trademark law basis is understood, the proper focus of
this thread is its consequences, both real and claimed, on Asterisk's
use in the market.

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 12:00 -0500, asterisk-biz-request at lists.digium.com

--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein