[asterisk-biz] Open letter to digium, asterisk developers and consultants

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Jun 11 14:39:03 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 13:13 -0400, Matthew Rubenstein wrote:
> 	So long as the trademark law basis is understood, the proper focus of
> this thread is its consequences, both real and claimed, on Asterisk's
> use in the market.

Not really, my point is not to compare the trademark policy to the law.
My point was only to say that what they are claiming prevents GPL
rights, or puts those that enhance or service asterisk may not be
allowed based on the policy.

So to make it easy, forget the law, forget what it says you can do.
Look only at the trademark policy and what it says you can and cannot
do, and see if there are any terms there that restrict rights given in
the GPL or impair those that help market asterisk or provide 3rd party
software, services, etc.

In that limited context is the point of the original letter, and I only
meant it to be in that limited context.  I specifically did not want to
start a debate over whether they can, whether they must, etc because
that doesnt really matter.  They have their own legal council and they
will run all of this by them regardless of what is said here.  And that
is wise.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200