[asterisk-biz] Call Center Recording Round Two

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Jul 27 14:12:02 CDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 14:39 -0400, kenny sigafoose wrote:
> To explain the specific scenario in more detail.
>
> I have to justify to my Development Manager that Asterisk Digium is a
> valid solution because we dont deploy many IP based systems (mostly
> Nortel, ESI and Mitel) and my customer's major need for their system
> is
>
> 1. To hold 4 extensions
> 2. 3 CO lines (analog)
> 3. Have recording capabilities to QA attendants (On atleast two of the
> four extensions for both incoming and outgoing automaticaly)
>
> If this sparks any ideas please feel free to expond upon them.
> Thanks for the help

4 extensions and 3 analogue lines means at most 7 channels will be
operational, unless you are going to have voip inbound in addition to
the analogue lines.  If that is the case then you are looking
potentially at more, however the count will still be fairly small in
general (unless hold times are not important :)

As such even a low end box would do that, the disk io and associated cpu
overhead is not that much per channel.  Basically you are looking at
90kbps for rtp logging with G.711, if you do transcoding to save it in
realtime to some other format then there is slightly more cpu cost.
ilbc being the most expensive codec, g.729 being the 2nd most expensive
(iirc), and G.711 being the least expensive (technically slin16 is the
least expensive, but most never use that as a transport codec).

So if you are looking at no transcoding, saving the raw RTP
7*90kbps=630kbps, which most systems can handle without a problem,
unless you are looking for a super small embedded style system with
limited functionality.  Even if you are storing it packet by packet with
no buffering of any kind going on (which decreases the number of writes,
fewer writes of larger chunks of data is generally more cpu/disk
friendly) you have the ability on most systems that would be deployed to
do this level of logging.

Now if you want to encode those into mp3s in realtime, run some
heavyweight apps, possibly do some other stuff, you may have issues with
a really low end system, but generally this wont be that much of a
problem.

As for scalable, assuming this is the same request as before for a
scalable solution, then the default monitor stuff probably wont be that
scalable (it also decodes the data generally, although it does not have
to iirc).  The default monitor stuff however can do many times that
channel capacity on a standard box, so I do not know how scalable it has
to be.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200