[asterisk-biz] Digium enforcing its trademarks

Juan Carlos Valero jcvalero at capatres.com
Fri Jan 18 01:42:17 CST 2008

El jue, 17-01-2008 a las 18:07 -0500, Jared Smith escribió:

> Digium trademarked terms, Digium has recently expanded our efforts to
> control the use of Digium’s trademarks.  One the measures taken has been
> to work within Google’s defined programs to control the purchase of
> Digium trademarked terms as Google Adwords.  In doing so we proactively
> provided Google with a list of companies that have signed agreements
> with Digium permitting the use of Digium trademarks.  Organizations on
> that list will continued to be allowed by Google to purchase Digium
> trademarked terms as Google Adwords.
>
> If the formal Digium programs don’t fit your situation,  you may send a
> request to the trademarks at digium.com address with some history of your
> past use and the specifics of your request for the future. If you are
> unsure of the Digium trademark policy, please visit
> http://www.digium.com/en/company/view-policy/5.
>
> We will attempt to turn around all requests within 24-48 business
> hours.

Hello Jared, and Digium Trademark staff,

My name is Juan Carlos Valero, from Capa Tres Soluciones Tecnologicas in
Spain. Our company is a vendor-independent company operating in Spain
for nearly 3 years, devoted to open-source proyects and dedicated to
deploy Asterisk based installations.

In these 3 years we have deploy a lot of Asterisk (GPL version) based
systems. This systems have a great variety of boards: from Digium, from
Beronet, Junghanns, Openvox, etc. Also we deploy phone from a great
variety of brands: Linksys, Atcom, Snom, Grandstream, etc. We purchase
the Digium cards to Avanzada7 reseller, and another European resellers,
but because we have distributor of OpenVox cards we don't have accepted
are resellers of Digium by Avanzada7 in Spain.

Actually our major publicy campaing are in Google Ads. All are stopped
now. This cause to our company a major damage, and  our customers (very
of that are company's interested in deploy Asterisk systems) can not
reach us.

I sent this mail to you (previously I sent a mail to
trademarks at digium.com without reply after 3 days) to request formal
permission to use the "Asterisk" trademark in our Google Ads. The
context for this are is not for selling "Genuine Asterisk": we deploy
GPL based installations only, and in our projects are clearly present a
disclaimer for "asterisk in a registrered trademark of Digium. We don't
receive a payment for Asterisk software, only for consultancy and
technical assistant".

If your company deny this permission, our company has to be left of
bussiness in very low time. If our customers can not reach us is his
searchs of Google, I can not publicity us.

Excuse my very bad english. I don't write correctly, but I make an
effort to write as crealy I can do.

Thank you for your attention, waiting for your reply,

Regards from Spain.

--
Un saludo,

Juan Carlos Valero

 Capa Tres Soluciones Tecnológicas S.L.                      Barcelona
 Visita nuestra página web en:                 http://www.capatres.com
 Teléfono: 935605424  Fax: 935748256   Blog: http://blogs.capatres.com