[asterisk-biz] Digium enforcing its trademarks

Craig Lawrence craig at mytel.net.au
Thu Jan 17 18:43:05 CST 2008

Personally, I can see nothing wrong in what Digium is doing to protect
its name and market position. It's well overdue in my opinion (try
searching on other major brand names and see what happens).

The eventual outcome is going to be that authorized partners of Digium
will be allowed to advertise and those that are not will be excluded (a
positive outcome in my opinion). The only down side is that there is a
short term restriction on adverts whilst some folks get authorized.

In Australia, Google now only displays the one advert for the Authorized
Australian Distributor of Digium when you search on the terms 'Asterisk'
and 'Digium'.  So in this market the only authorized Territory Distro is
attempting to sell direct to retail customers and cut out their own
channel.  Imagine if you had that situation in USA/Canada!!

Also interesting is that when you search on the term 'Sangoma' in
Australia you get fed with an advert for the sale Digium Distributor!!!

It seems somewhat hypocritical to rely on trademark protection in one
instance but abuse it in another.

Cheers

Craig Lawrence