[asterisk-biz] IAX trunking in china

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Fri Feb 8 16:21:08 CST 2008

On 8 Feb 2008, at 20:50, Nitzan Kon wrote:

> --- Andy Davidson <andy at nosignal.org> wrote:
>> Yes, but depending on the structure of your network, at such
>> facilities you can regularly attain settlement-free exchange of
>> internet traffic with networks you have significant data to.
> What incentive would they have to do that though? If it passes on
> their networks it costs them money, yet as a VoIP provider I don't
> have any routes they can pass to free of charge too.

You've got *your* routes, which could represent enough data to warrant
settlement free interconnection.  e.g. Facebook (on peeringdb) claim
5-10Gbit of traffic. Yahoo 100Gbps plus.  They can only offer their
routes, but ISPs are regularly happy to peer because it represents
enough traffic to be worthwhile.  Peering also (usually) reduces
latency between end users and content, which improves performance for
mutual customers.

Data passing on an ISP networks may cost the network some money, but
it only exists on their network because they're billing someone, and
letting them dump traffic onto the network :-)  They have the option
of passing it to a peer for free, or passing it on to an upstream ISP
for cash.  The economics that dictate what's viable are very involved,
but if you're growing it's worth trying to understand them.