[asterisk-biz] Paranoia, Dell & 3C

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Tue Feb 5 19:42:49 CST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 11:45 AM, Ron Joffe <rjoffe at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 February 2008 09:22, Bob Pierce wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 08:55 -0500, Steve Totaro wrote:
> > > I would go after RAID 5 and redundant power supplies.
> >
> > I totally agree on the RAID 5 and redundant power supplies. It would be
> > irresponsible not to get these.
>
> Dual power supplies are standard, and we do run Raid 1 (Hardware) on the two
> internal drives.
>
> As Drew mentioned Raid 5 is a non starter for true reliable applications. As
> drive sizes have increased, rebuild times for a failed drive have also
> increased, leaving you wide open to a catastrophic loss of data should one
> more disk fail during the rebuild process.
>
> As far as the overall specs, we really don't need more then a single dual core
> proc and 2 GB of Ram, but when you can get dual quads and 8 GB for a few
> hundred more (or less when at the right time) why not. We have been Dell
> resellers for a while, and when they have deals, we can get some ridiculous
> prices.
>
> Ron

I like HP much more than Dell but that is just me.  I like the DL380
with nice 36.4gig SCSI drives, I guess with six bays, you could do
RAID 5 + 1 or whatever mirrored RAID 5 is called.

I was a Dell reseller but often found offers MUCH cheaper to buy as
directly as an end user from their site.  It became really annoying to
contact my rep, get a quote, give it the client. and then get a call
back from the client that they priced it out online for significantly
less.

I guess that is why they call it a VAR program, you have to add some
value.  Not sure how you do that in this crowd.

Tell me what this ridiculous price is for the model and specs you are
quoting above.  Let's see how much I can configure it for online or
from the Dell Outlet.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro