[asterisk-biz] Paranoia, Dell & 3CO

Ron Joffe rjoffe at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 10:45:41 CST 2008

On Tuesday 05 February 2008 09:22, Bob Pierce wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 08:55 -0500, Steve Totaro wrote:
> > I would go after RAID 5 and redundant power supplies.
>
> I totally agree on the RAID 5 and redundant power supplies. It would be
> irresponsible not to get these.

Dual power supplies are standard, and we do run Raid 1 (Hardware) on the two
internal drives.

As Drew mentioned Raid 5 is a non starter for true reliable applications. As
drive sizes have increased, rebuild times for a failed drive have also
increased, leaving you wide open to a catastrophic loss of data should one
more disk fail during the rebuild process.

As far as the overall specs, we really don't need more then a single dual core
proc and 2 GB of Ram, but when you can get dual quads and 8 GB for a few
hundred more (or less when at the right time) why not. We have been Dell
resellers for a while, and when they have deals, we can get some ridiculous
prices.

Ron