[asterisk-biz] Paranoia, Dell & 3C

Ron Joffe rjoffe at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 09:15:15 CST 2008

On Tuesday 05 February 2008 20:42, Steve Totaro wrote:
> I was a Dell reseller but often found offers MUCH cheaper to buy as
> directly as an end user from their site.  It became really annoying to
> contact my rep, get a quote, give it the client. and then get a call
> back from the client that they priced it out online for significantly
> less.
>
> I guess that is why they call it a VAR program, you have to add some
> value.  Not sure how you do that in this crowd.
>
> Tell me what this ridiculous price is for the model and specs you are
> quoting above.  Let's see how much I can configure it for online or
> from the Dell Outlet.

Steve,

I know exactly what you mean about the prices at Dell, it's more like buying
at the flea market, then at a store. The prices are all over the place,
depending which site you check, what day of the week, day of the month, etc.

Here are the full server specs.

PowerEdge 2950 III
------------------
CPU 1 - Quad Core Intel Xeon E5410, 2x6MB Cache, 2.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB
CPU 2 - Quad Core Intel Xeon E5410, 2x6MB Cache, 2.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB
Memory - 8GB 667MHz (4x2GB), Dual Ranked DIMMs
Controller - PERC6i SAS RAID Controller
Hard Drive Configuration - RAID 1
Drive 1 - 146GB 15K RPM Serial-Attach SCSI 3Gbps 3.5-in HotPlug Hard Drive
Drive 2 - 146GB 15K RPM Serial-Attach SCSI 3Gbps 3.5-in HotPlug Hard Drive
CD/DVD Drive - 24X IDE CD-RW/DVD ROM Drive
Riser Card - Riser with 3 PCIe Slots
Rack Chassis w/Sliding Rapid/Versa Rails and Cable Management Arm
Redundant Power Supply with Dual Cords

If I price this out from the Dell site is comes in at about $4000.

We purchased the same spec server about a month ago for about $1000 less then
the price on the dell site.

A 3K server at that spec is allot of hardware for the money. If I was to
reduce memory to 2GB, and minimize the CPU, I would only save about $500.

Ron