[asterisk-biz] Conference Services

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Aug 19 01:10:41 CDT 2008

Nitzan Kon wrote:

> http://businessvoip.tmcnet.com/topics/trends/articles/36429-voip-service-providers-others-lobby-fcc-inter-carrier.htm
>
> Assuming this passes - how would it affect the viability of such
> services that depend on Inter-carrier Compensation? from what I
> understand it'll pretty much erase them overnight, correct?

That... depends entirely on whether this reciprocal compensation
limitation makes inroads to the "de facto" reality, which is that rural
carriers can and will charge whatever they want, often higher than
what's in their tariff and certainly higher than the federal minimum.

If the IXCs and A-end LECs don't cough up, they can cut off access.  If
enough users complain about being unable to reach large conference
services, etc., they may be forced to pay up.  Of course, there will be
much litigation and squabbling and complaining to the FCC and state
public utilities commissions, but it moves at a geological pace.

The difference between what they're officially meant to charge and what
they bill in CABS in practise is another thing that is very broken with
the intercarrier comp. system.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems