[asterisk-biz] Pulver media in trouble ?

Gregory Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Sun Apr 6 17:30:46 CDT 2008

As someone who has been involved w/ producing a show w/ attendance in the
1,500 attendee range for the past 5 years, I can tell you that even doing
things on a budget costs about $65,000 / day. This is with making people pay
for their own lunch. Did you know that a pot of coffee costs about $300? And
Internet access in a Union run trade-show facility can be about $12,000 a
day. When you sign an agreement w/ a trade-show venue, you are also signing
an agreement that states you will use their specific approved vendors, all
of which have mind blowingly high prices. You sacrifice cost effectiveness
for efficiency.

65k is what the Ohio Linuxfest costs to put on. Almost 50% of the money
comes from the community in the form of $65 donations for an "All Conference
Pass". The rest of it is provided by sponsors who want to reach the
community.

I'd be very shocked if Astricon gets shelved because of the issues w/ Pulver
however. Astricon is still "the Asterisk show" for all intents and purposes,
and I personally believe it is far too important to just get canned.