[asterisk-biz] Pulver media in trouble ?

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sun Apr 6 18:01:14 CDT 2008

Ad I said

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Gregory Boehnlein <damin at nacs.net> wrote:
> As someone who has been involved w/ producing a show w/ attendance in the
> 1,500 attendee range for the past 5 years, I can tell you that even doing
> things on a budget costs about $65,000 / day. This is with making people pay
> for their own lunch. Did you know that a pot of coffee costs about $300? And
> Internet access in a Union run trade-show facility can be about $12,000 a
> day. When you sign an agreement w/ a trade-show venue, you are also signing
> an agreement that states you will use their specific approved vendors, all
> of which have mind blowingly high prices. You sacrifice cost effectiveness
> for efficiency.
>
> 65k is what the Ohio Linuxfest costs to put on. Almost 50% of the money
> comes from the community in the form of $65 donations for an "All Conference
> Pass". The rest of it is provided by sponsors who want to reach the
> community.
>
> I'd be very shocked if Astricon gets shelved because of the issues w/ Pulver
> however. Astricon is still "the Asterisk show" for all intents and purposes,
> and I personally believe it is far too important to just get canned.

As I have said, I have a very good friend with a two huge auditoriums,
many separate rooms, 64 acres of land, several houses on his farm,
T1s, FiOS, a complete POP room, and WiFI everywhere.  The same guy
owns a resaurant.

There are a good many good restuarants or fast food withing a few
minutes driving time and all the hotels are cheap.

I guess you don't really get the concept of grassroots.

Thanks,
Steve