[asterisk-biz] Publishing US Phone Numbers for Directories

Paul ast2005 at 9ux.com
Fri Nov 9 17:55:43 CST 2007

sales department wrote:

>on 11/9/07 3:37 PM, Peter Beckman at beckman at angryox.com wrote:
>

>>I'm sure there are businesses on this list that offer directory publishing.
>>I have a few customers who want to make sure that their new VoIP number
>>gets listed in the public directory.  Some want residential, others want
>>business listings.
>>
>>Who offers this service?
>>

>Oddly enough - if you are in a Verizon territory they will do it.
>
>In terms of third party books - the largest is "YellowBook".  They are Hq'ed
>in Long Island, I believe.  They recently bought Transwestern Yellowpages
>out of San Diego.
>
>Bell South also says they do it.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
><robb>

Doesn't it require an authorization from either the CLEC or teh
subscriber to the DIDs? People I have known who got paging and wireless
numbers into the book had to go through their provider. You can't just
call Verizon and say "This is my cell number. Put it in the book and
charge my credit card."

If it was that easy I think a lot of vonage subscribers would pay the
fees and get listed. The way it is now will require an "act of congress"
or an "act of vonage" :)

That's what irks me about vonage and others offering "unlimited
residential" and "unlimited business" plans where the only substantial
difference is the price. I would gladly pay the higher price plus the
directory listing fees if they could offer that. It would have to
include my business name in the CNAM database and my street address in
the listing.

In 2001 I closed an office that had 6 Verizon lines. I paid them to keep
the number alive and forwarded to voicemail for 2 years. Instead of
putting my new business street address(or the PO box address) in the
next book, they put the street address of their CO. People actually
tried to send mail and packages to me at a CO building that has no mail
slot or regular onsite staff!