[asterisk-biz] SIP/IP over CDMA device?

Begumisa Gerald M beg_g at eahd.or.ug
Thu May 3 01:16:43 MST 2007

On Wed, 2 May 2007, mitcheloc wrote:

> I'm excited about the prospect of a phone using VoIP over 3G
> exclusively. In the meantime, there is the Nokia E series. I purchased
> an E61i for my mother. The idea is that when she is at home or near a
> wifi access point she can call in and out of her business as if she was
> on site and the rest of the time it will function as a normal cell
> phone.
>
> The E61i was just released officially last week. It has a built in SIP
> client. From what I understand the phone does have 3G support, but only
> in Europe... The wifi is good enough for us here and for $504 shipped
> this phone makes an excellent competition to wifi SIP phones like the
> WIP330. Another phone though much more expensive that I plan on looking
> into is the E90...

Hey, thanks for these pointers - I'll look into them.

> Are you looking to provide voip services to your users or create a niche
> business as a provider for VoIP only 3G phones?

Actually as previously mentioned there's a small provider over here with a
CDMA network (not too big just a couple of base stations) and they would
like to find out how to cost-effectively introduce voice.  I was just
thinking if there was a device which "knew" how to communicate IP over a
CDMA layer 1 and had a SIP client, that's what they would have to sell
their clients (then spend much less on a softswitch by using Asterisk for
example).  That's the idea..

Gerald.