[asterisk-biz] SIP/IP over CDMA device?

Wasim Baig wasim at convergence.pk
Thu May 3 01:31:06 MST 2007

I've been using the E61 for months now. SIP works great, so does truphone.
Someone was porting IAX to it as well, but no word so far. However, do note
that its WCDMA, not plain CDMA. EDGE works great on it as well, and the WIFI
is just rock solid.

Finally, a phone a techie can really love, and who can beat two fingered
full keypad typing at such a low price (i got mine for under $300 new).

-wasim

On 5/3/07, Begumisa Gerald M <beg_g at eahd.or.ug> wrote:

> On Wed, 2 May 2007, mitcheloc wrote:
>
> > I'm excited about the prospect of a phone using VoIP over 3G
> > exclusively. In the meantime, there is the Nokia E series. I purchased
> > an E61i for my mother. The idea is that when she is at home or near a
> > wifi access point she can call in and out of her business as if she was
> > on site and the rest of the time it will function as a normal cell
> > phone.
> >
> > The E61i was just released officially last week. It has a built in SIP
> > client. From what I understand the phone does have 3G support, but only
> > in Europe... The wifi is good enough for us here and for $504 shipped
> > this phone makes an excellent competition to wifi SIP phones like the
> > WIP330. Another phone though much more expensive that I plan on looking
> > into is the E90...
>
> Hey, thanks for these pointers - I'll look into them.
>
> > Are you looking to provide voip services to your users or create a niche
> > business as a provider for VoIP only 3G phones?
>
> Actually as previously mentioned there's a small provider over here with a
> CDMA network (not too big just a couple of base stations) and they would
> like to find out how to cost-effectively introduce voice.  I was just
> thinking if there was a device which "knew" how to communicate IP over a
> CDMA layer 1 and had a SIP client, that's what they would have to sell
> their clients (then spend much less on a softswitch by using Asterisk for
> example).  That's the idea..
>
> Gerald.

wasim h. baig | principal consultant | convergence pk | +92 300 8508070