[asterisk-biz] case study on switching to Asterisk

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Tue Mar 20 16:59:03 MST 2007

For several varying quotes, one could go to www.buyerzone.com
<http://www.buyerzone.com/>  and put in exactly what you specified.  You
will get several vendors proposing different systems, prices, and most
importantly, service contracts.  It does cost each vendor about $25
dollars to buy your "lead" so be aware that you are costing them money
by doing this.  Whether or not that is ethical, is your decision.  I am
just pointing out that "one could do it".  Make sure to include that you
need a conference bridge that can handle unlimited callers, also
unlimited voicemail ports, support SIP, and also consider scaling.  That
should freak them out.

Does "whatever" company have people on staff that know Linux and have
time to learn and support Asterisk?  What is the cost of taking them
from what they usually would be doing to work on the Asterisk system?

I would suggest going with SIP phones and a four port FXO board.  You
could run both systems side by side until you are ready to cut over and
then just switch your four POTs lines.

Most proprietary systems use digital sets so you cannot use a mutiport
FXS board.  I have used proprietary handset gateways such as Citel and
my person experience was very very poor.

How much ROI is going to depend on increased worker productivity which
is fairly hard to figure out and also ongoing average costs of MACs
(cost of Moves Adds Changes) as well as support contracts.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro
http://www.asteriskhelpdesk.com
KB3OPB