[asterisk-biz] case study on switching to Asterisk

Byron Pile bpile at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 20 17:03:14 MST 2007

I was going to assume that yes, there are Linux people on staff and that they could be taken away to set up and support asterisk. But because I was comparing it to a turnkey solution that most likely is including service as part of the contract, comparing it to a similar contract based asterisk setup makes more sense. However, I guess when starting this I was hoping to eliminate "license" fees from the open source solution, but if I'm using a small company, I think its more realistic to assume they don't have a support department ready to devote man hours to an asterisk system when they were using a turnkey solution before.Thanks for clarifying the handsets, I was considering using SIP phones in the case study, but thought it might be possible to "reuse" some existing equipment. This is also a technology upgrade in this case.I was going to assume that the workers were just as productive as before, but the ROI would come mostly from reduction in operating costs (hopefully). If they don't have any "linux people" on staff, this makes it harder to include some of the open source benefits like, fixing bugs, adding features and the other flexibility that Asterisk would provide over using the Norstar.Thanks for the response Steve, I have more research to do obviously!Subject: RE: [asterisk-biz] case study on switching to AsteriskDate: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:59:03 -0500From: stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.comTo: asterisk-biz at lists.digium.com

For several varying quotes, one could go
to www.buyerzone.com and put in exactly
what you specified.  You will get several vendors proposing different
systems, prices, and most importantly, service contracts.  It does cost
each vendor about $25 dollars to buy your “lead” so be aware that
you are costing them money by doing this.  Whether or not that is ethical,
is your decision.  I am just pointing out that “one could do it”.
Make sure to include that you need a conference bridge that can handle
unlimited callers, also unlimited voicemail ports, support SIP, and also
consider scaling.  That should freak them out.

Does “whatever” company have
people on staff that know Linux and have time to learn and support
Asterisk?  What is the cost of taking them from what they usually would be
doing to work on the Asterisk system?

I would suggest going with SIP phones and
a four port FXO board.  You could run both systems side by side until you
are ready to cut over and then just switch your four POTs lines.

Most proprietary systems use digital sets
so you cannot use a mutiport FXS board.  I have used proprietary handset
gateways such as Citel and my person experience was very very poor.

How much ROI is going to depend on
increased worker productivity which is fairly hard to figure out and also
ongoing average costs of MACs (cost of Moves Adds Changes) as well as support
contracts.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro
http://www.asteriskhelpdesk.com