[asterisk-biz] How are phone calls routed and who is responsible for what?

John Schmerold john at katy.com
Tue Mar 6 19:14:14 MST 2007

The VOIPJet note reminded me of an issue that has been bugging me for
some time. How are phone calls routed and who is responsible for what?

I understand what happens when I plug www.google.com into my web
browser, my computer connects to a name server, it contacts its name
server until the IP address is determined. Then my router contacts its
router until I'm connected to google.

When it comes to phone calls I'm baffled. When I pick up the handset at
the house to call my brother's house across the street, they may or may
not both be in the same switch, handled by the same carrier, delivered
via the same physical connections.

Who is responsible for this routing and how does one go about protecting
the route to your phone number.

The point of this exercise is performance and security.
1. Performance
    When we get VOIP service from a supplier, how can we determine their
ability to perform. On a simple level, we can ping their SIP server.
Fast, consistent ping may mean good service. However we don't know if we
just connecting to a sip server that connects to another sip server that
may or may not have a good connection.

2. Security.
     What if our supplier goes out of business (Remember Enron, Worldcom
or even NorVergence)? How do we get our number? How long does it take?
etc etc  Most resellers go through XO or Level 3. Is anyone aware of
their policies relative to number ports when one of their resellers goes
broke or refuses to return your number to you?