[asterisk-biz] How are phone calls routed and who is responsiblefor what?

Jim Dalton jim.dalton at transnexus.com
Tue Mar 13 11:10:54 MST 2007

> Who is responsible for this routing and how does one go about
> protecting the route to your phone number.

In the US Public Switched Telephone Network all routing is defined by two
databases.  The Telcordia Local Exchange Routing Guide (LERG) defines the
telephone number owned by each local telephone company.  However, with
number portability, telephone numbers can be ported to other carriers.
Therefore a dip into the Local Number Portability (LNP) database is required
to get final PSTN routing to the called party.  NeuStar manages the (LNP)
database, but it can be accessed via RBOCs and other entities.

There is no numbering infrastructure, analagous to the PSTN, for VoIP.

Jim Dalton
VoIP Routing, Accounting, Security
1.404.526.6053
www.TransNexus.com