[asterisk-biz] Recent REMOTE CRASH BUG

Peter Bowyer peter at bowyer.org
Sat Mar 3 15:08:51 MST 2007

On 03/03/07, Matt <mhoppes at gmail.com> wrote:
> EXACTLY MY POINT!!!   There shouldn't be that many bugs.   Look at QMail for
> an example of ONE PERSON who is writing software that is secure and bug free
> as well as free and open source.

And totally devoid of any new functionality in.... maybe 8 years?
Actually I just went to look, it's 9 years. DJB isn't writing it, and
hasn't done since 1998. All the new functionality QMail has acquired
since then has been by way of a tangled web of third-party patches,

DJB is an excellent theorist, and has written very tight and bug-free
code. It has an admirable security record. It is also amost completely
comment-free, and not maintained in any way at all.

If you want Asterisk to stay still for 9 years, he's definitely your
man. Me, I'd prefer it to keep up with the times. The consequence of
the 'release early and often' principle of Open Source development is
that stability isn't always as good as it might be. You pay your money
and take your choice. And as with any Open Source project, we're all
part of the team.

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer