[asterisk-biz] View from a side competitor

Dean Collins Dean at cognation.net
Sat Feb 17 06:12:20 MST 2007

Hi Mitul and Garrett,

Mitual I personally read, that when you used the term 'we' you meant
Fonality and not yourself or you representing Fonality so your choice of
description was fine.

As someone who has been on both side of the seller/channel relationship
and has set up distribution agreements for a number of different
companies I understand how hard it is both for Fonality and for people
who are considering becoming their reseller/partners.

There is always a balance between potential profitability and actually
encouraging potential partners to bring you in to deals.

This will always have a direct output on how quickly a company or
technology grows.

Regarding Fonality specifically, I don't see why they shouldn't offer an
ongoing percentage of all sales in the future even if you as an agent
are to step aside after during the first sale.

Fonailty wouldn't have been in the account in the first place to make
ongoing sales if you the reseller didn't make that initial introduction.
So not allowing for a percentage of all ongoing sales as a 'cost of
doing business'  is a little short sited.

In the past I've represented a number of companies including
Salesforce.com when they were first getting started and nobody knew who
they were or even trusted ASP's as a business tool.

Apart from the fact that it is a great product I recommended them to
everyone I knew. Especially as every quarter I get a check from them for
clients I sold them into years ago. I may have had nothing to do with
either Salesforce.com or the client for a number of years and you may
feel why does 'Dean' feel entitled to these residual checks?

Well because if you don't think that I still recommend Salesforce.com as
a crm to anyone who asks - then you are kidding yourself.

With Fonality only paying a single check once....in a few years from now
who do you think their resellers are going to remember? Who ever paid
them last that's who.

This is just my personal opinion and I don't represent either a
potential reseller or Fonality, but if I was managing their
international expansion this would be my reccomendations to future
rollouts.

P.S> :)

Of course with regards to www.Mexuar.com we are a little different in
that everyone can become a Mexuar reseller.

All asterisk system integrators can buy a Mexuar Corraleta SDK license
for $US2,000 and sell it to their client, we make no recommendations or
enforcement on what price this is passed on to the client. Check out
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Mexuar

If you don't know what Mexuar is check out
http://www.mexuar.com/downloads/Level1Products/CorraletaDemoSound.swf

If you are in the Americas, Asia or Australia contact me,
dean at mexuar.com
If you are in UK, Europe, Middle East, Africa contact charles at mexuar.com

Regards,

Dean Collins