[asterisk-biz] Small business traditional phones or IP Phone?

Pierre Marceau pierre at forestcitynetwerxs.com
Wed Feb 7 22:45:43 MST 2007

Reminder, I'm just 5 weeks into this stuff so bear(sp?) with me...

I just received my first voip order from voipdepot.ca, I bought a Grandstream GXP 2000 and a Linksys SPA941 $129 and $149 respectivly. I also picked up a Linksys PAP2T for around $80.

The Grandstream has two ports, and can be configured as a switch or NAT router with tons of settings for QOS (as a switch it links up at 100mbs). The thing is I don't want to use this phone as my internet router! So I consider this feature useless and I can't imagine ever using it as a nat router. However, using the 'switch' feature it was easy to put it 'in line' with my computer and it's up and running which is more than I can say for the Linksys which will have to wait in limbo until I get around to running a new wire to the place that I want it.

Both phones were easy to setup on my Asterisk box, I was able to setup the grandstream from it's key pad. The Linksys was a little cryptic but once I realised I could login to either phone from my browser the setup got a lot easier. I can't say which I like better yet, the Linksys looks nicer and 'might' just feel a little better. The Grandstream has more bells, whistles and buttons for CONF TRANS MAIL MUTE. It will take some time before I know which is better, but considering the Grand Stream is $20 cheaper...

The pap2 T was easy to setup, I used to have two lines in the house but I cancelled one and now all the phones that used to be on line 2 are on port 2 of the pap2 which is extension 6005 of my Asterisk box. I'm amazed that all this stuff works so well!

I bought an unlimited local calling account from Atlasvoice for $14.95 and it works fine accept that using the xlite softfone I could not retreive voicemail from my old pager account, the DTMF tones just were not recognised. The Grandstream worked fine for these dtmf tones. I had thought that the problem was at Atlasvoice but apparently not.

That's all for now.

>>> "Chris Mason (Lists)" <lists at masonc.com> 2/7/2007 4:46 PM >>>
shadowym wrote:

> Do any of these 2 port phones do QoS where they would prioritize their own
> traffic over traffic on their downstream port?
I believe the Polycom phones do that.

--
Chris Mason
(264) 497-5670 Fax: (264) 497-8463