[asterisk-biz] 800 DID's

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Apr 14 07:58:32 MST 2007

On 4/14/07, Graham Shroll <gmshroll at synteraction.com> wrote:

>  Yes, the web was a great place back then (I really miss that 'flame' gif
> and 'under construction' banner)!

I recall a domain registrar in the late 90s advertising 2 guys trying to
make a website and talking about making a flaming spinning logo, and how
this registrar can help you get a 'real site'.

Conversely, unless a company is selling through their website directly I
> believe it is largely a pointless asset; These days, a professional
> corporate website seems to be a term synonymous with "loads of flash, stock
> photography, thousands of words of marketing waffle".
> That can be as much of a turn off as a dreamweaver-template startup in my
> opinion.
>
> That being the case, people buy from people - if you still get a dodgy
> feeling from the sales guy, don't buy!

My opinion on this, which seems to contradict those that *sell* stock
photography, flash (that forces noise upon the user without any prompting)
and other simiar things, is a website should load fast, be informative yet
have minimal eye candy, etc.  Look at how popular craigs list is.

All those images, when they serve no purpose, or flash that has a bunch of
graphics and audio just to be a website 'intro' is net pollution in my
opinion.  How much bandwidth can be saved for real things by not doing that?

I think it also depends on your demographic and what you are selling, if you
are a music act then images of performances, audio tracks, etc are almost
required.  If you are selling widgets in a B2B environment flashy graphics,
forced audio (which disrupts the work place of the viewer), etc are uncalled
for.

I am sure however if you ask 100 people their opinion on this you will get
at least 101 opinions.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200
http://www.trxtel.com the VoIP provider that pays you!