[asterisk-biz] Registering a business name

Davis Sylvester III davis at 5-9Networks.com
Mon Apr 9 21:24:32 MST 2007

Mark C wrote:
> Arya,
>    Most accountants will do an initial consult for about 1 hour
> billable time (give or take).  Time/money well spent if you are
> serious and ready to start. The tax rules under the current
> administration have become very favorable for incorporation. Check out
> the SBA's web site ( http://www.sba.gov ).  Anyone can handle form
> 1040-ez but when you start into business its best left to a
> professional.   Not to mention you would rather spend your time doing
> your business instead of making the gov't happy about paperwork.  I
> have found the best reference for an accountant or lawyer are other
> business owners.  If you know anyone in business for themselves ask
> about who they use.
> Mark C.
>
> Arya wrote:
>
>> I live in Pennsylvania right now, Do I have to spend more tax if I
>> register my company?

Arya:

Brian is right most start-up small businesses register in Delaware as it
is the least expensive to start a company there.  But you have many
options, as the others have stated you can start a Corporation, LLC, S
Corp, etc.  But if you just want to work under an assumed name or Doing
Business As (DBA), that can be done right at the local courthouse.  It
will cost you in the neighborhood of about $10 - $25.  This process
makes taxes issues easy as you just claim revenue under your personal SSN.

If you go the other route, my advise would be to talk to an accountant
as they generally don't charge anything to give advise initially.  Most
of the paperwork to incorporate a business is generally straight
forward.  And most states allow you to file the documentation right
online via a web form.  If you use mycorporation.com they will want you
to use them as your registered agent and they will charge a fee  for
this service.  I think the fee is annually and runs in the neighborhood
of about $325 per year.  Most small business owner use themselves as the
registered agent, which will cost you nothing.  The registered agent is
nothing more than a person responsible for corporate correspondences
sent to your company (i.e. when you are sued, that's how the attorney
knows where to send the paperwork).

But you also must consider which states you plan to work in, as you have
to be registered in each state that you plan to have employees.  And the
fee for foreign corporation can be expensive.  Again find an
accountant.  Most companies start out using Quickbooks as an accounting
system
(http://intuitmarket.intuit.com/QBA/ReferralDB/ReferralDataBaseMemberSearch.asp)
and they have a list of certified CPAs that are also certified to work
on Quickboks.  Most are independent so their fess are usually reasonable.

Hope this helps.