[asterisk-biz] VoicePulse engaged in very dubious business practices

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed May 31 14:54:03 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 16:42 -0400, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 May 2006 15:53, Moshe Maeir wrote:
> > I read your whole letter and I really don't understand your  gripe. You
> > did not delete all your DIDs.  You had an active DID by them, so they
> > charged you. Are they to blame if you forgot to delete it.
> > To me it seems that you took unfair advantage of the fact that
> > chargebacks cost merchants money, and pressured them to credit you. We
> > have customers who do that and even though we know they are wrong - it
> > just doesn't pay to pursue  a debt of 30-40 dollars which will involve a
> > chargeback - but does that make them right?
>
> It's the spirit of the conversation.  If I had a customer who had not used
> service, disconected all but one DID and otherwise had nothing to do with us,
> including turning off the auto-renew and I charged him anyway...  and after
> discovering the card was no longer valid to hunt around to find another card
> with the same name and charge that...
>
> ... do you not think they went to excessive lengths to charge him?  I sure do.
> And I'd be pissed, too.

That part I didnt see before, in that case there is potential merchant
fraud since that particular card was not authorized for the other
transactions.  However, with that said it would boil down to the
agreement between the parties (usually the user agreement).  If it has a
clause stating that if you have multiple accounts they can apply the
bill from one account to another in the case on non-payment, then they
did nothing wrong, and infact were authorized under that agreement to
charge it.

If however auto renew was not on, and its a prepaid service, then the
merchant was in the wrong for renewing the contract despite the wishes
of the consumer (providing there is no term agreement again).  If its
post pay then there might be some rights of the vendor to bill for that
final month.

Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378