[asterisk-biz] Canadian Association of Voice over IP providers EN UM Infrastructure working group teleconference

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Mon May 1 10:20:06 MST 2006

> The facts are simple, paying your competition to complete calls is not
> good business. When one VoIP customer calls another routing the call
> over the PSTN just does not make sense.
Don't get me wrong, I wish you best, and I think its the Right Way, but,
this has a low chance of happening.

a) while many carriers run IP in their network, I doubt any of them will
want to *accept* calls from another carrier over public intarweb, much
less *send* the calls to another carrier. I certainly won't. Unless
there's some push for "carrier-only private network to connect
enum-enabled carriers" or carriers interconnecting via switches at
soem fabrics, I doubt you will have any big boys using it.

b) CLECs are notorious for not cooperating with each other, even if their
lives depended on that. I doubt there are many CLECs in NYC that have
trunks built to each other to pass traffic. Instead, they send inter-CLEC
traffic via VZ tandem, and pay for switching.

c) Also, just as much as CLECs hate paying access fees to ILECs, no CLEC
is willing to give up access fees they *charge* other CLECs for
termination on their network.

-alex