[asterisk-biz] Canadian Association of Voice over IP providers ENUM Infrastructure working group teleconference

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Tue May 2 07:40:08 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 13:20 -0400, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:
> > The facts are simple, paying your competition to complete calls is not
> > good business. When one VoIP customer calls another routing the call
> > over the PSTN just does not make sense.
> Don't get me wrong, I wish you best, and I think its the Right Way, but,
> this has a low chance of happening.

On the contrary; it is happening. There are already examples of peering
networks for VoIP.

> a) while many carriers run IP in their network, I doubt any of them will
> want to *accept* calls from another carrier over public intarweb, much
> less *send* the calls to another carrier. I certainly won't.

If there are VoIP providers who don't believe in sending calls over the
Internet it would seem they are not in the right business.

>  Unless
> there's some push for "carrier-only private network to connect
> enum-enabled carriers" or carriers interconnecting via switches at
> soem fabrics, I doubt you will have any big boys using it.

Private closed networks are what we have now. If a provider wants to use
use a private closed network then the existing PSTN is a much better
solution.

> b) CLECs are notorious for not cooperating with each other, even if their
> lives depended on that. I doubt there are many CLECs in NYC that have
> trunks built to each other to pass traffic. Instead, they send inter-CLEC
> traffic via VZ tandem, and pay for switching.

That is not at all the situation in Canada. CLECs and ILECs are bound by
regulation to allow interconnection but aside from that its obviously in
their best interest to do so.

In any case, that is why an organization like the CAVP is ideal for this
project. It is a neutral 3rd party which is acting in the best interest
of all parties.

> c) Also, just as much as CLECs hate paying access fees to ILECs, no CLEC
> is willing to give up access fees they *charge* other CLECs for
> termination on their network.

What you have described in your comments paints a picture of an
extremely expensive and inefficient network. No doubt the "big boys"
will continue to do business this way as long as they can but clearly
the writing is on the wall for a more efficient method of
interconnection and its only a matter of time.

--
Regards,

John Lange
Canadian Association of VoIP Providers