SUMMARY: [asterisk-biz] Does VoIP Really Work for Serious Business?

Voip Xpress voipxpress at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 9 19:58:05 MST 2006

Since the original posting a few days ago, I have had a huge response from
the mailing list.  (Is VoIP  a case of "the emperors new clothes".)
Interestingly, the majoriity of respondents chose to reply directly to me
without posting to the rest of the mailing list, so I will summarise the

- With the exception of a few (extremely smart, lucky or delusional Asterisk
users), the response has been that outside the enterprise (or at least
anywhere neat the public internet), Asterisk is at best cellphone quality.

- The quality of DSL/cable access is an easy place to start pointing the
blame.  It is definitely a factor, but not the only one.  Most users
experienced success with point to point, presumably including DSL/cable so
it can't be all bad.  Our experience would tend to agree with this.

- Within the enterprise, there seem to be few VoIP problems.

- The jury seems to be out on whether putting  an Asterisk server in the
path does any harm.  When there is no transcoding, the concensus is it does
not do any harm.

- I did not receive one response saying that there is VoIP LD termination
out there that is any better than the rest.  Our experience seems to be
typical.

- Received quite a few responses from providers and users of TDM
termination.  Although more expensive than VoIP termination, this would seem
to remove some of the internet variables.  I would be interested to hear
what others' experience has been like with this type of service.

Is cellphone quality really good enough?  Firstly, most people would be
happy if they could reach cell quality over VoIP.  On cellphone,  people pay
a premium for convenience and in many cases, the service deterioraition is
predictable:  we know which areas have dodgy coverage and live with it.
VoIp can be dodgy anytime any place.

Conclusion...unless anyone can talk me out of it:

VoIP LD calls can be cheap, but rarely worth it for business.   For
N.America and western Europe, business customers may be able to save a few
c/min, but most will not accept the  quality trade off. Calliing a customer
back 3 times to complete a 10 minute transaction doesn't fly.  They will
walk.  Calls to more exotic locations where customers can save 50c/min may
still be worth the trade off, but those customers arent that easy to find.
As TDM prices continue to fall, and in N.America tend to zero, I don't see
this improving any time soon.

If you are starting a business predicated on VoIP reducing business
customers LD bills, think again.

VX